General Convention 2006

Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Then I will go to the altar of God, and I will praise you . . . Psalm 43:3-4

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church
met in Columbus, Ohio from June 11-21, 2006.
This blog offers a view of the convention and beyond from the perspective of Lydia Evans, a two-time lay deputy from the Diocese of South Carolina.
Visit the links found below for additional resources
as well as pre- and post-convention coverage.
Thank you for remembering the convention deputies and their families in your prayers. For further resources, visit my webpages.
For all posts from the month of June, click here.
For all posts from the month of July, click here.

6.15.2006

I am really tired . . .

My day began with a 6 am wake-up call, and I walked in the door of the hotel after midnight. I did manage to eat supper tonight after the SCECAC Open Hearing, but otherwise I didn't have more than ten minutes to spare at any point.

I have spent most of the last two days power-walking (out of necessity) from early morning committee meeting to worship to the HOD floor to a lunch meeting to an afternoon committee meeting back to the HOD floor (and then back to a committee meeting) and finally back to the hotel.

One reason I was really on the run today is that I have proposed my first resolution -- which required a little footwork. Here it is:

ORIGINAL TEXT

Resolution D067
Title: Amend Canon III.1: Life of the Ordained
Topic:
Committee: Canons
House of Initial Action: Deputies
Proposer: Mrs. Lydia Evans (South Carolina)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Resolved, the House of ________ concurring, That Canon III.1 be amended by adding the following Section three:

Section 3. Notwithstanding any other provision in these canons to the contrary, no person shall be ordained to the office of deacon or priest, or consecrated to the office of bishop, unless such person lives faithfully within the covenant of marriage between one man and one woman or in a single and celibate life.

It seems pretty straightforward, doesn't it? I'll have to appear before the legislative committee in the next few days to explain the resolution (is it really all that complicated?) and to express my intent in proposing it. I'll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty straightforward on that resolution...I know you've got to be tired...keep fighting the good fight...you're in my prayers. Fred Thompson

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Excellent resolution. It won't pass, of course, but nice try...

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home