General Convention 2006

Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Then I will go to the altar of God, and I will praise you . . . Psalm 43:3-4

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church
met in Columbus, Ohio from June 11-21, 2006.
This blog offers a view of the convention and beyond from the perspective of Lydia Evans, a two-time lay deputy from the Diocese of South Carolina.
Visit the links found below for additional resources
as well as pre- and post-convention coverage.
Thank you for remembering the convention deputies and their families in your prayers. For further resources, visit my webpages.
For all posts from the month of June, click here.
For all posts from the month of July, click here.

6.06.2006

In the last GC2006 Mailing from 815

In the last mailing sent out from 815 prior to the General Convention, there was a flyer inviting attendees to assist with the administration of the Eucharist at the morning worship services. It read, in part:

“We invite you (laity, bishops, priests, and deacons) to participate in General Convention worship by assisting with the administration of Holy Communion. We need approximately 75 Eucharistic Ministers at each daily service. . . . Eucharistic Ministers will not vest, and the Presiding Bishop has asked that they do not wear buttons or other clothing or objects that might distract communicants, or that could be interpreted as indicating a position on any matter before the General Convention.”

Finally, the Presiding Bishop and I are on the same page! I have been considering for several weeks the way in which we literally wear our 'identity' on our sleeves (and shirts and nametags and totebags) when we festoon ourselves with buttons announcing our position on various issues.

I am a child of God -- I will not be defined by multi-colored buttons and decals. We flinch when we're labeled by others -- why are we so intent on labeling ourselves?

And you know, it's a bit off-putting to be faced by someone bedecked with buttons, while queing up for the ladies' loo. Look for me at General Convention. I'll be the one wearing my name tag (without the extras). Consider joining me!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yea God and Yea, Lydia. I fully agree and will pray for you, "a child of God." Blessings, Arthur Jenkins

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home