General Convention 2006

Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Then I will go to the altar of God, and I will praise you . . . Psalm 43:3-4

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church
met in Columbus, Ohio from June 11-21, 2006.
This blog offers a view of the convention and beyond from the perspective of Lydia Evans, a two-time lay deputy from the Diocese of South Carolina.
Visit the links found below for additional resources
as well as pre- and post-convention coverage.
Thank you for remembering the convention deputies and their families in your prayers. For further resources, visit my webpages.
For all posts from the month of June, click here.
For all posts from the month of July, click here.

6.18.2006

The Peace of the Lord Be Always With You

Good morning!

I'm off to the Canons Committee. They are meeting at 9 a.m, and one of the resolutions they will be discussing is D067: On the Life of the Ordained. I am the proposer on this one, and as far as I'm concerned,it's a no-brainer that "no person shall be ordained to the office of deacon or priest, or consecrated to the office of bishop, unless such person lives faithfully within the covenant of marriage between one man and one woman or in a single and celibate life."

But then, what do I know? I am ONLY relying on Holy Scripture (which informs the Ordinal in the BCP, p. 510-555).

Also up for consideration is Brad Drell's resolution, D068: Amend Abandonment Canon IV.10. This one doesn't sound very juicy, but it addresses the process of inhibition of priests, and as it currently reads, it has the potential for widespread abuse.

The committee will not be hearing testimony, as we understand it, but we want these resolutions to at least have an open hearing before the committee.

I'll be posting the outcome of this meeting, and more, at mid-day, so check back. It's feels a good bit like the calm before the storm around here. Living in Charleston, I'm a little familiar with that eerie feeling. But the Lord is the One Who can calm the storm. He is our Peace in the midst of the tumult.

We would do well to remember that in the next few days -- to remember the times in our lives when He has done just that.

Read Psalm 121 today. Rather than waves of doubt, fear, and confusion, pray for strength, guidance, and "the peace that passes all understanding" to wash over us.

Lord, thank you for this day and every day that you have made. I love You, and I know that You love me. I know that You live and reign. May your awesome power be made manifest in the thoughts, words, and actions of your servants today. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home