General Convention 2006

Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Then I will go to the altar of God, and I will praise you . . . Psalm 43:3-4

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church
met in Columbus, Ohio from June 11-21, 2006.
This blog offers a view of the convention and beyond from the perspective of Lydia Evans, a two-time lay deputy from the Diocese of South Carolina.
Visit the links found below for additional resources
as well as pre- and post-convention coverage.
Thank you for remembering the convention deputies and their families in your prayers. For further resources, visit my webpages.
For all posts from the month of June, click here.
For all posts from the month of July, click here.

6.28.2006

A Rector Writes His Parish in Belgium

The rector of All Saints Church, Waterloo was ordained in South Carolina by Bps. Allison and Haynsworth.

Dear Saints,

Recently, I received an e-mail from a first cousin of mine, who lives in South Carolina, and with whom I had been out of touch for a number of years. As one might guess, she first inquired about recent family news, our health, our life overseas, etc. And, not surprisingly, knowing what I do for a living, she politely but directly asked me for my “take” on the news and recent developments in the Episcopal Church.

A lifelong and loyal Episcopalian herself, she cannot help but be aware and likely distressed by the sometimes sensational press reports predicting and/or speculating on the Episcopal Church’s impending “demise”, “doom”, “split”, “fissure” or “meltdown” (depending upon which news service one happens to read).

I must confess her e-mail sits in my “in box” unanswered as of yet; it’s taken me a while to condense “my take” into a single e-mail. I’ll bet I am not alone in my struggle to “get my head around” all of this.

Wondering about his "take" on the crisis in the Communion? The author was a deputy to the General Convention in Columbus. Can you guess who? Read the rest here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home