General Convention 2006

Send out your light and your truth; let them lead me; let them bring me to your holy hill and to your dwelling. Then I will go to the altar of God, and I will praise you . . . Psalm 43:3-4

The General Convention of the Episcopal Church
met in Columbus, Ohio from June 11-21, 2006.
This blog offers a view of the convention and beyond from the perspective of Lydia Evans, a two-time lay deputy from the Diocese of South Carolina.
Visit the links found below for additional resources
as well as pre- and post-convention coverage.
Thank you for remembering the convention deputies and their families in your prayers. For further resources, visit my webpages.
For all posts from the month of June, click here.
For all posts from the month of July, click here.

6.20.2006

Love Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry (Huh?)

If you've spent some time in the blogosphere since yesterday afternoon, you know that we passed one resolution, A0160, and had a lot of discussion on another, A0161. Sara McGinley, a lay deputy from Minnesota sits right in front of our clergy deputation table, and she rose to speak at one point in opposition to this resolution. She said, in part, "I came to this General Convention, bringing my 4 1/2 month old baby with me, and leaving my toddler at home...because I think the Episcopal Church can save the world."

Stunning! Now we are our own saviour. I understand her exuberance, her idealism, but come on...we can't even get the world to attend our churches.

Note: South Carolina was one of the only dioceses which has actually grown in these last years, with average Sunday attendance-ASA-in our parishes having increased over 34% between 1992 and 2003. For more information, see these ECUSA statistics.)

But, wait...it gets worse. This deputy from Minnesota then said, clutching her baby to her chest, [when I tell my daughter about this convention], "I don't want to tell her that if she falls in love with a woman, she can't be a bishop." That pretty much sums it up.

Another deputy, a member of the clergy from Louisiana, in speaking about this resolution which would mean that openly gay bishops would not be consecrated, pointed out that A0161 is only addressing "this one order, notice it doesn't say anything about the other." Oh, my! What she means is that ECUSA will have the latitude to continue ordaining actively gay and lesbian priests. Thanks for pointing out this work-around in the legislation!

Kendall summed up the language in A0161 when he said, "The water of this resolution is murky, mucky, turgid, and I can't see...obliged to urge to refrain from...what do you mean?"

Well, I'm off to the floor again this morning. My daughter, Henslee, arrived in Columbus on Sunday evening, and this afternoon, we are leading a workshop on behalf of the National ECW. It's called 'I Love to Tell the Story: The Gospel in Art.' And how I do love to tell this story...

And right after lunch, I will be leading one focusing on 'Acts 2:42: A Long-range Plan for Today's ECW.'

Keep us in your prayers. This morning's floor debate will not be the best preparation for my workshop this afternoon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your commentary, and hope the workshop went well!

6:33 AM  
Blogger joie said...

Thinking of onself as morally superior is interesting. You seem to believe that this young woman is less faithful than you for her theology and yet you think it's just fine to put her 4.5 month old daughter's picture up on the internet!!?? What a violation! I would sue you for slander and exposing my child to God-knows-what on the internet. She may post pictures as she wishes but others may not. How would you like it if someone put your kid's picture out there??

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home